Friday, June 22, 2012

The Declaration: Part Two

So. I spent the week at home in Sun Prairie and managed to leave my copy of The Declaration at my mom's. Oops? Because I'm awesome like that, I'm going to have to write a "The Declaration: Part Three" posting now too. Here are a few more thoughts on the book thus far, though:

One thing that has struck me as super odd (and has been somewhat distracting) is the friendship between Peter and Anna. I don't entirely understand it. It seems really intense and went from 0-60 in a matter of no time. Plus, Anna is always commenting on how weird she finds her draw to Peter. I find it a little unbelievable that Anna, who is so incredibly strong-headed and dedicated to her way of life as a Surplus, would so easily give in to Peter and his ideas.

For those who have read it: What are your thoughts on this?

Keep in mind that I'm still only about half way through, so maybe there is more to come. Until then, I think it's a weird relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, there's nothing else coming. I didn't buy the relationship either, and judging by the gripes on Amazon, we've got company. I didn't have a problem with the idea that Anna might change her mind because of Peter - after all, Peter's awesome. I think it just wasn't handled very effectively by Malley. There's lots of moments when Anna says something like "maybe Peter isn't so bad after all" or "I realized I liked and needed Peter," but that's as deep as it goes. The reader never gets any insight into what Anna is responding to in Peter.

    ReplyDelete